Code calculations were performed using ASME Section VIII, Division 1 to determine the code compliance of a purge head reactor with internal diameter of 85” and internal pressure of 150 psig. Local stress calculations for various attachments were also performed using WRC107. Code calculations and structural analysis were also performed on a silo sitting on the purge head by three support legs.
- Code calculations performed on the silo sitting on the purge head reactor
The components that were outside the scope of ASME Section VIII, Division 1, were evaluated using Finite Element Analysis (FEA). Two FEAs were performed:
- Finite Element Model (FEM) was generated to analyze clamped body flanges using (10) independent clamps. An internal pressure of 150 psig was used in the analysis of the clamps and the body flanges. This analysis was performed using brick elements.
- Shell elements were used in the Finite Element Model (FEM) of the attachment between the silo and the purge head reactor. Linear and non-linear analyses were performed using the FEM.
- Finite Element Mesh of Purge Head Reactor Body Flanges
- Forces Applied to the Two Body Flanges
- Von Mises Stress due to Internal Pressure and Clamp Forces
- Contact Pressure Between the Two Body Flanges Under the Internal Pressure and Clamp Forces
- Finite Element Model of Rectangular Attachment to the Shell of the Silo
- Vertical Displacement of the Rectangular Attachment to the Shell of the Silo
- Von Mises Stress Results for the Rectangular Attachment to the Shell of the Silo